Welcome to 40plussports and best wishes for a fulfilling 2013!
This site is designed to encourage, inform, and entertain those over 40 who are contemplating arising from their couches and competing; or those who are already deeply committed to sports competition; or those who are somewhere in between -- the sometime weekend warrior.
WHAT'S NEW ON THE SITE
• I've begun to summarize the past five years of data for all 27 sports, looking at competitors by age and gender. The first of these, a five-year summary of triathlon
, is posted on the "Data Analysis" page. Scroll to the bottom to check it out.
• The calendar of National Championships and other major Masters events for 27 sports in 2013. Click on "Sports"
• The 2013 results of completed national championships. Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country Skiing, Speedskating, Weightlifting, Ice Hockey, Squash, and Platform Tennis have been posted (click on "Sports" and look for "2013").
• A brief summary of two articles from The Journal of Aging and Physical Activity (click on "Research" and then click on the April 2012 article)
• Citations on a couple of impressive centenarians (click on "Research" and then click on the October 2012 article)
• Some thoughts about drug-testing for Masters Athletes (click on the "The Aging Athlete")
• Please note that the location of the national office for USA Powerlifting has been changed. Check the "Powerlifting" page for the new address.
WHAT'S ON THE SITE
For those of you who are new to the site, here is an overview of the six sections which will be up-dated regularly.
1) The Aging Athlete
-- My reflections on growing older as I compete in various sports.
2) Data Analysis
-- A page devoted to an examination of the data contained on the sports pages of this site. You'll find an Introduction to the Data
. At the bottom of the page you can access an article on Female Competitors in 2009 National Championships
and an article on Competitors over 70 in 2009 National Championships
-- A summary of articles and research on aging and sport performance that I have found provocative and informative.
-- A page for each of 27 sports which present a schedule for upcoming national championships, a list of the national champions in each sport, a list of the number of "competitors" in each event, and a summary table. Note: These tables are ONLY for competitors in the over-40 age group classes.
5) Buy the Book
-- A blatant commercial appeal to purchase the book on which this website is based.
6) Links and Resources
-- Interesting and relevant websites, books, DVDs, and other media. I've just added a link to Forever Athletes which has many of the same goals as this site.
I welcome your comments, suggestions, and questions. You can e-mail me at email@example.com