Welcome to 40plussports and best wishes for 2014. This site is designed to encourage, inform, and entertain those over 40 who are contemplating arising from their couches and competing; or those who are already deeply committed to sports competition; or those who are somewhere in between -- the sometime weekend warrior.
WHAT'S NEW ON THE SITE
• I have, at last, completed posting the results for all of the sports I track. To see these results, click on "Sports" and check out the results for the various sports. I have also completed the 2014 calendar of National Championship events for all sports. So, I am thinking of taking a year off from data collection to work on a second book on Masters Sports and Aging. I'll keep you posted.
• I've described my experience at the 2013 World Masters Games in Turin, Italy and posted an article on the kayaking. Click on "The Aging Athlete" for my report.
• An effort to organizing and promoting a 2015 World Masters Basketball Championship in Orlando Florida has begun. See my page on basketball for details.
• As background for my work on Masters Sports, I have posted a summary of some demographic data. To read it, and my other postings on data analysis, go to the "Data Analysis" page and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
• A brief summary of two articles from The Journal of Aging and Physical Activity (click on "Research" and then click on the April 2012 article)
• Citations on a couple of impressive centenarians (click on "Research" and then click on the October 2012 article)
• Please note that the location of the national office for USA Powerlifting has been changed. Check the "Powerlifting" page for the new address.
WHAT'S ON THE SITE
For those of you who are new to the site, here is an overview of the six sections which will be up-dated regularly.
1) The Aging Athlete
-- My reflections on growing older as I compete in various sports.
2) Data Analysis
-- A page devoted to an examination of the data contained on the sports pages of this site. You'll find an Introduction to the Data
. At the bottom of the page you can access an article on Female Competitors in 2009 National Championships
and an article on Competitors over 70 in 2009 National Championships
-- A summary of articles and research on aging and sport performance that I have found provocative and informative.
-- A page for each of 27 sports which present a schedule for upcoming national championships, a list of the national champions in each sport, a list of the number of "competitors" in each event, and a summary table. Note: These tables are ONLY for competitors in the over-40 age group classes.
5) Buy the Book
-- A blatant commercial appeal to purchase the book on which this website is based.
6) Links and Resources
-- Interesting and relevant websites, books, DVDs, and other media. I've just added a link to Forever Athletes which has many of the same goals as this site.
I welcome your comments, suggestions, and questions. You can e-mail me at email@example.com